CESIS HISTORY AND ART MUSEUM
Tourism information centre
Pils laukums 1,
T: + 371 4121815,
From June, 2007 Cesis New Castle (Cesis History and Art Museum) is under reconstruction. The Museum will be closed till August, 2008. During this period some of the museum exhibitions will be seen in Cesis Exhibition Hall.
During the reconstruction there will be seen one of the most interesting museum’s exhibitions – “ Cesis Castle ’s Treasures”, which provides an insight into a range of the most important and surprising discoveries found in the Castle - old money, jewellery, armor and fine tools for domestic use both in peace time and in times of conflict.
In Exhibition Hall visitors are also welcome to visit the exhibition “The time of count Emanuel fon Zivers in Cesis Castle Manor and Karlamuiza” (open till August, 2007).
Cesis History and Art Museum was found in 1925. Cesis Museum is one of the oldest and largest municipal museums in Latvia. The visitors of the Museum can acquaint themselves with the history of the district of Cesis starting from ancient history to right through to the bottles for the freedom of Latvia (early 20th century).
Since 1949 Cesis History and Art Museum ir locatad in Cesis New Castle. The Castle was built in 1777 on the site of gate defenses of the old castle. At this time the castle became the property of Count Carl Sievers. Cesis Castle Manor belonged to the Sievers family right up to 1917.
At the beginning New Castle with the mansard roof had two floors, abutting the Lademacher Tower at one corner. The New Castle is thought to have been altered in the 1820s, when the second and third floors of the tower were built, imitating Gothic forms. There is steep staircase leading to a gently-sloping cement platform on the roof. At the time of Count Sievers, mock crenellations were built of porous limestone along the rim of the platform.
The flag atop the Castle tower testifies that Cesis is the birthplace of Latvia ’s national flag. The tower offers a view of the city panorama.